Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Trunk Show


While I was on vacation, I was fortunate enough (OK - so I planned ahead - see I do plan ahead for the IMPORTANT things) to attend a trunk show. The speaker was Janet Samuels who used to own Freckles Quilt Shop in Calgary. Her topic was Red and White quilts. This is going to be GOOD!!!!

Before I get to the trunk show, I had a few minutes to spare so I sat in the lobby of the hotel where the dinner/trunk show was to take place. Ah - a few minutes to hook up to the internet and play a turn or two in Scrabble. Hey - let's just see what networks are available. WHOA!!!!!    Have a look at this...............


Look at the LAST network. By my understanding if you are UNDERCOVER, NO ONE is supposed to know that you are there??????????   Pretty funny. I had visions of some big take down during the trunk show, but - all went as planned. 


Before Janet got into showing us the quilts she had brought - she mentioned the Red/White Quilt Show that was in New York last year.


Red/white quilt display in New York - 2011


Have a look here for a few pictures. I didn't really know the story of this display, but after hearing Janet talk, I am KICKING MYSELF. What was I doing that was so important that I MISSED this amazing display.

Live and learn - if these one of a kind things come along - DO NOT SAY NO. JUST JUMP in the car and GO.

Anyway - onto the trunk show........................


The first part of these quilts are antique quilts that Janet borrowed from a friend of hers. I WANT to know how people just HAPPEN upon these things. I NEVER run into an antique quilt. One of these quilts was found in a house that her friend bought. I mean - that never happens in real life??????   I guess it does, but not to me.




I think this one she found in someone's garden. They were using it to protect their garden from FROST!!!!!



  



A top only. 








Then we get into the quilts that belong to Janet and a couple of her friends that have been made recently.


This had BEAUTIFULLY embroidered initials on it. 

Christmas Red and White dogs and stars



Aunt Sukey's choice with BUTTONS






Love this quilt and OH MY - a white binding??????

I know this has green in it - but the flying geese are red and white!!!!

Gorgeous star quilt!!!!

A little basket of pillows - I WANT this!!!!!!!   So cute for Christmas

Neat little table runner

Cute pillow designed by the girls at The Quilt Patch and made by Janet



Wow - I was so INSPIRED after that trunk show - I wanted to come home immediately and sew. Alas, I could not. But I WANT to make more red/white quilts. They are so classic and so beautiful. Well I have one more in the works - more on that later.


OK - I am REALLY late this morning. Had to finish reading a book and it could NOT wait until later in the day. Now it is finished and I am done the blog. Stay tuned for MORE excitement from the vacation. There was so much that happened.


OH OH OH - almost forgot the MOST important part of this blog. Guess who Janet knew??????   Well guess who used to live in Calgary??????   Oh yes - that would be the fair maid Marian!!!!!    Yes - she used to frequent the Freckles shop a LOT or so I hear. So I asked a few questions and got the inside scoop on Marian when she lived in Calgary. Apparently she is the SAME here as there - loves the social aspect of quilting, but the actual quilting part??? - Not so much!!!!!!!    Janet and I   had a good laugh over that one. Some day - some one will figure out how to get that girl focused so she can finish some projects because what Marian does - she does WELL.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment