Thursday, February 27, 2014

Furniture moving time!!!!!!!!!!


I am always "nagging" about keeping the work surfaces clear.  It is so nice to come in the studio and see the tables empty, the ironing board clear, cutting mats wide open and so on.

I have to admit - I struggle sometimes to keep it that way.  It is easy to tidy up once - throw everything into bags and shut them behind closed doors!!!   Come on - you do that too!!!!

Well I am going to TRY and make an effort (yet again) to keep ahead of things AND to deal with those bags and baskets that are hidden away.

The BIGGEST problem is what to do with new stuff.  I guess you could stop buying, but that doesn't solve the problem. Someone gives you something, someone loans you something or you dig out something from the shelf or bag.  Oh yes - there is NO NEED to buy something in order to make a mess.

If we could DEAL with that stuff IMMEDIATELY  - there would be no MESS.   I know - that sounds simple doesn't it?

And my goal was to use that 2014 shelf to help keep things tidy. While it was "acceptable" to me to have current projects out on the table - when someone came over, then I could put the stuff away on the shelf. The shelf does have room, but I don't think there is enough room to put everything away!!!!!

One of my issues - is my work spaces. I have an excellent sewing table.

Great sewing table - I have to confess - it rarely looks like this, but you should have seen it years ago. There was NO ROOM to do anything on my sewing table including sewing!!!!  I am trying to keep this surface clear because I want to be able to work without things falling on the floor. There is a small work table at the end and it usually gets covered with stuff. 
See - it is covered with stuff.  I have since dealt with a LOT of this stuff. As you know - paperwork is my big issue. There is so much and so many categories of paperwork that it is over whelming and I never get anything done.  So it piled up beside the computer and stayed there. 



I have since cleared that small table off and my paper work is spread out on that table, BUT I categorized it (I know - how easy is that???). So there is a pile of "TO DOs", one for bills, one for reading material, etc. I LOVE IT!!!!!


But another issue was the area beside the computer. A DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!1


I get so excited about clearning up a new area that I forget to take a BEFORE picture. Let's just say that that table (where the box is) was FULL of paper.  And look at the mess on the top part of this desk!!!   A real mess.   So I got myself organized and assembled the little shelf that I had purchased a month ago and now look...............


Oh yes - it looks much better!!!!!!!!!!! The plan now is to put on that empty space ONLY the paperwork necessary for the daily CRITICAL three items or just other things that need to be taken care of within a day or two. And of course I will go the paperwork off the little white table to see what is most urgent. Oh yes - it is all about organization!!!!!!!!!!  


The trick for me is to not overload the space. I need to keep it strictly with those three items and perhaps one or two others that need to accomplished in the near future.   My brain just CANNOT cope with more.   
And there is the clean cutting table
And the ironing board






 In addition to MY work space (cutting tables, ironing boards and sewing table), there are two groups of work tables in the room.  There were five 60 inch long tables and one 72 inch long table.  That extra long table was a pain in the neck because of the configuration.  It wouldn't fit with the rest of the tables very nicely. The other day when we had sit n sew, there were 8 people and I had to use TWO smaller tables (the little white table which means that I have to clean it off) and a smaller plastic one which I don't like.  SOOOOOOOO    - when Ronda said she wanted a big table like the one I had - it was hers and I immediately bought two more 60 inch tables (which arrived yesterday).  

Now there are SEVEN 60 inch tables which will mean that when I have sit n sew days or any sewing days - seven people will get a good table and hopefully there won't be more than seven people on a given day!!!!!   Trust me - it will be much better. I am excited!!!!!

And now I have a set of three work tables that are CLEAR. I keep them for working on. DUH!!!!   When I want to pin on a border, measure a border or whatever - they are clear.

The other set of tables (I am only keeping two up and two will go up when they are needed) will hold my current projects.

Look at all that room on the left of those tables - that is because I got rid of the big table. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

And here are the two tables with my current work projects - YES - there are a LOT of them. 


 I know that is perhaps more information that you ever wanted to know. But there is a moral to this story.

If something isn't working - don't just keep tolerating the situation. Find a way to fix it. Me - I am still trying to find a way to deal with the paperwork. I am better, but still loads of improvement. The table situation wasn't working either so I found a way to fix that as well. And I need to plan about 10 minutes every day to deal with the "extra stuff" that has accummulated over the course of the day - be it a shopping bag, buttons, paper, fabric or whatever. I MUST NOT let it sit around because somehow this stuff seems to multiply over night and then - well there is no taming it!!!!!!!!!!!


On that note - I am out of here. I have a sewing day scheduled and OH MY - there are a couple of things that need to be dealt with before I leave - namely a few things to put away!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment