Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Exciting class opportunities for 2018


The projects are finalized and the dates are picked. It's time to sign up for the on-going class for 2018.

I'll be posting pictures of the on-going classes for 2017 later this week - I've just had a couple of other tasks that needed to be completed. I almost have all the deadline stuff done so that is good - I could use a wee bit of breathing room for a day or two!

I'll be cutting down my teaching schedule (at shops) for 2018 as I hope to teach a bit more at guilds (if they'll have me) and I want days for me to just laze in the backyard!

I'll only be teaching at The Hobby Horse in Georgetown. It's convenient for me and maybe next year (2019), I'll look at one or two more options.

The dates for classes and suggestions for classes have been submitted (for the entire year) and I'm waiting to hear back. Once I know that information, I'll provide the information to you. There will also be an on-line class - I'm going to give it a try and see how it works. So watch for that.

Without further ado - here are the TWO options for the on-going classes.

Option One - Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt

Farm Girl Vintage
 This class will be based on the book - Farm Girl Vintage by Lori Holt. There are 45 blocks in the book, along with a whole range of ideas of what to do with the blocks. Instructions for the blocks come in two sizes - 6" and 12". This is a DESIGN class. I will review all 45 blocks over the course of the year. You get to design your very own quilt using these blocks. If you only want to make five of the blocks, then you only make 5 of the blocks and you make your own quilt.

It's really a fun process and NOT scary at all as I walk you through the process. If you happen to have EQ7 or EQ8, it's a great way to put the blocks in and play with the designs. I've already done that and I'm working on my quilt.

You'll get a ton of tips for making various components, how to modify the patterns if the construction method doesn't suit your style, color/value, busy backgrounds, design and a whole lot more. It's going to be a super exciting class.


Option Two - Creating a Free-Motion Design Book

The Big Book of Table Toppers

This class is super exciting in that each month, we'll review ONE of the table topper patterns included in this book. There are 56 to choose from - we'll be making nine. I've picked a number of ones that offer different styles and techniques of piecing so you can learn some great tips from that part of the process.

The second part of this class will be how to choose patterns to quilt each one. I'll give you a variety of suggestions for quilting designs, hopefully, we'll all be creating a design book as we go along. We'll be talking about how to set up the sewing machine for free motion, thread colors and weights, and other tools/techniques to make the free motion quilting process a snap. It's not all that scary because the pieces are small.

Note that you are NOT obliged to do the homework, but those that did in a previous class I ran made leaps and bounds in their skill set. Not only that, but this is an opportunity to get feedback on what's happening in your work, unlike a one-time class. It's a great learning experience!


How do these classes work?

We meet for ONE hour on a Saturday morning once a month from January to June and then from September to November. In November, we reveal the final project - in the case of the free motion class, we'll see final projects all year long.

Do I bring my sewing machine?

No the classes are lecture style and there is a lot of show and tell, so no time for a sewing machine.

What does the class cost?

$25 for the yearly fee plus the book

Is there homework?

Yes - there is homework but there is no penalty if you don't get it done.

How do I sign-up?

You call The Hobby Horse to sign up.  Their phone number is 905-877-9292.


On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a great day!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment